Officially An University Student!

I'm sorry I haven't been updating this blog for a while. Life has been pretty stagnant since it's just working for temporary jobs at temporary places, with temporary people, so I don't feel the need to even talk about them. Of course it doesn't mean that I've learn nothing during this whole year. I've mentioned in my previous post that I'm working as a teacher (a relief teacher only though) in my form 6 school. The experience has been good for my self esteem and working as a teacher, you do practice a lot of soft skill and a lot of patience. Probably because I am very aware that there's no need to feel attached or any sort of commitment to my job or the students, I've never left that class room being angry at the students or just feeling very frustrated and aggravated. I mean, I look at this job not as a superior figure, but as a pupil of the teaching of life, so I feel that to practice your own control towards yourself is much more important than to control your students. Besides, how can you control others if you can't even control yourself?

Anyway, I am way out of topic right here. Today we are going to talk about, guess what? University life! I've just gotten my university offer a couple of days back and I am thrilled to find that I actually got my first choice with my average CGPA. Alright, it's fair to say that my course isn't a popular course but I did get into a rather prestigious university. Okay, okay, I will stop fishing and tell you what offer I got. So I was offered a placing in Environmental Science in UKM, which is the National University of Malaysia. Not to be confused with UM, which is University Malaya, to be fair, everyone do consider UM more of the national university of Malaysia, but name is name.

So, university's starting on September, so I'll have to get everything ready before that. First years are required to stay in hostel, but I guess being so near to home, I can go back every twice a week or so. People keep telling me that I'm lucky that my university is in KL, because they got somewhere else like Pahang, Penang, Sabah, Sarawak. I'm not saying that I'm not lucky, I do feel very blessed to enter such a good university, with campus still in a city. But leaving the nest is as scary for me as for them. Although I can come home every week if I wanted to, I am now expected to be fully responsible of taking care of my own as anyone else, I am not supposed to be running home every week just because I feel bullied or simply unable to cope. I have to learn to cope as much as they are. I feel that it's a little unfair to say that my transition isn't hard. My life for the coming 3 years will be all about my university as much as theirs. Anyway, it isn't that bad. We are all youngsters that's very much capable of adapting to environment. Plenty of people survived, so it's no biggie.

Although, I do find it surprising that the demographic of my university are largely Malays. I'm not being racist or anything, it's just an observation. I'm just a little worried as my Malay (both written and spoken) has been a little rusty as I've adapted much to MBS's English speaking culture. Although it is known that UKM do conduct their classes in Malay, but the notes and coursework are done in English. It's a relief for me as I've been studying my science and maths in English since form 1 so if the syllabus were to be taught entirely in Malay, I would need time to adjust to it. I would still need to be studying Science, especially Biology and Chemistry for my course, occasionally a little of Physics and Maths, but I am fired up to give in my best this time, I don't want to repeat what happened in my form 6 because I really don't enjoy being at the bottom of the food chain.

Speaking of form 6, I'm glad that one of my form 6 classmate are in the same faculty as I am, which is the Science and Technology Faculty. I look forward to orientation and actually knowing more people from the same course or even faculty. Boy, I'm even more interested to look at hostel life. I know I would need a big adjustment, I'm a princess at home. It's kind of stressful thinking about the things you'll need in the hostel. I'm glad boilers are allowed, I can hard boiled some eggs if I'm feeling lazy.

I feel pretty conflicted about going to university, just as my friends are. They probably have a more valid reason to as they have to move so far away, some are only child, some are oldest. I'm sure everyone's just as excited but also tentative about going to a foreign environment with close to zero people that you know. But we all know that, in the end, everything will be alright.

Comments

Popular Posts