How we are not helping Malaysia to reform

I saw a post on my Facebook recently of an article from Dr Julian Tan titled Why I had to travel halfway across the globe for university by MalaysiaKini. I see cries of agreement of how unfair racial policies all Malaysians know, had affected non bumiputeras. But how exactly are we as Malaysians helping the situation to reform and make Malaysia Malaysia?

As a Chinese, I had the same mindset being hammered into my head growing up - that we will always be in situations that are set against us; getting into public universities of popular courses will be virtually impossible. As a child, these things are scary. Why is the world so scary and why are the country against us?

However, as an idealist I never bought into the idea, neither did my sisters. To me at least, it doesn't matter as I am convinced that I could make it even if I don't have a fancy school or fancy scholarship, I know that my attitude will bring me forward in life. I remembered my mom forcing me to change to one of the elite secondary schools because it promises a better chance of getting scholarship. Which is one of the reason I was never worried, Chinese always have ways to plan the best route of success. 

Nevertheless, I went against my mom and stayed in my mediocre public secondary school. I was determined to show that I could thrive in the "worst" situation. Although it is hardly the worst. It's there I learn about other cultures. Where Malay friends absolutely does not take advantage of privileges. I had conversations with my Malay friends who agrees with me that we don't need these racial policies anymore. As Dr Julian Tan said, "these policies have been put in place far too long that they have been counter-productive".

Yet, I grew up well. I was not at all suffering from such policies, maybe because I had never let the seed that this will inhibit me grow, I never let it matter. I grew up in a situation where I learn to be a true Malaysian, acceptance of differences yet alike. 

I went into form 6, accepting that it is the criteria to enter public universities, as per any university you need a pre-U, mine just happens to be the notorious form 6. I didn't enter my desired course - Veterinary Medicine because my result were simply too bad. I see many, Chinese especially, would be complaining yet again about the racial policy that limits non-bumi entry into local matriculation. That somehow the government ruin their chances of entering public uni by forcing them into a pre-U that is rumored 2nd hardest pre-U in the world. But what would guarantee that we would definitely get straight As even if we enter local matriculation? My point is... sometimes nobody is against us, we poison our own minds. 

I was happy to be in UKM. It was my choice. I had dreams of going to overseas too, but I didn't want it enough to work for it. Referring back to Dr Julian's article, I could understand the bitterness many Malaysians have in choosing universities. For Dr Julian, it was his dream to study oversea and he did it, he worked hard for it; perhaps without the push, he would not have push himself this hard. 

However, my sister and I found it unnecessary to criticize that Malaysian universities are not world class. UM has recently ranked #114 in 2018 QS university ranking, which is a big thing and we should celebrate as Malaysians. We are all working towards success, including our universities. However I do agree that Malaysian primary and secondary education could really use an overhaul. But as a current student in Malaysia public university, objectively, it's really not that bad.

Are we really restricted based on our races into universities nowadays? As you were to apply for oversea universities, you got to plan and work hard to build a strategy to where you want to be. I didn't do very well for my STPM, but with the right strategy I still got into a course that I am interested in. Some of my friends weren't as lucky, but this is life, you win some, you lose some. University is just the starting of your journey. 

But, sometimes you just got to play by the rules. Local matriculation was started with the intention to be fully for bumiputeras only, and to give up 10% of the places to non-bumis sounds just as unfair to bumis as it is to not open it up as fully based on merit to non-bumis. 

Race-based policies were made in the first place to help bring development for the marginalized society. And it is scientifically found that, well-to-do families does better in academic than those that are not. If scholarship and university placings are purely based on merits, wouldn't just the well-to-do be even more well-to-do and continue to widen the economy gap of wealthy and poor? To a lot of people and the country, bring social-economy balance is more important.

I am not saying that race-based policies should stay. I feel that in today's context, it's no longer relevant to Malaysians. Policy makers should look at low income section instead. Everybody knows that, so I'm not going into detail for that. 

The thing we should discuss is how are we helping in this situation.

There's little point in complain about how flawed the system is and excusing yourself to enjoy acknowledgment and success oversea. 

As compulsive as it is to focus on your problem, being Malaysian means to care about everyone else that is living on the same piece of land as you do. Being Malaysian means to mix around and understand that we are all on the same boat, regardless of policies and race. 

Especially Chinese, as I experience it first-hand, that we should all stop this toxic cycle of discussing behind closed doors that we are entitled for this and that, and look at why policies are made in the first place. We have to stop demonizing everything without thinking about the truth, if not, we are just going to hurt our own people.

As a young Malaysian, I've seen mass majority of young people are ready for reformation. That we are ready to put this race thing behind us and truly care for one another as Malaysians, not Chinese, Malay, Indian dan lain-lain. 

Just as asking your boss for a raise, you stand a better chance by presenting your best behavior and cases, than to throw a fit demanding what you want. Once we have proven ourselves worthy of not buying into the hate of races and most importantly, civilly mature, politicians can no longer play the race card and finally, the act of abolishing such outdated policies will not be seen a fight for race, but celebrated as a step towards progress.

It's wiser to play nice.

Comments

Popular Posts