Happy New Year! It's 2018!
Time flies. I remember going into university like it's just a year ago, but in fact it is well over 2 years now. It feels as though nothing much had changed, I didn't learn as much as I thought I would, I didn't engage with intellectual debates in university as I first thought that was what university was, I haven't change for the better physically either, still rather chubby, with some additional negative bits like fine wrinkles and permanent dark circles under my eyes. Spectacle has become a necessity rather than something that I wear only when I need to read things off the blackboard. Currently with a hurting spine that first occur when I bent front too fast, and this time due to a simple sneeze. I can't help but to feel so old and.... I'm not achieving anything.
I realize that I'm in, what I call, a quarter life crisis. It's most probably not a real thing but oh well, who cares, I answer for myself. Not to say that I don't really have any growth or accomplishments in this year, there's plenty, but somehow when I'm this close to actually going to graduate and enter the society and fully take responsibility for my life and needing to take actual steps and risk to make dog training my thing. I mean, that's the scariest bit for me. Taking on adult responsibility is scary but I can take it, I mean everyone goes through the same thing. But dog training? It's more of like an uncharted territory, what's more, I know my mom doesn't support me in doing this at all. I feel like thinking about it alone could make me crack, but I still need to think of it whether I like it or not. The black dog is always there in the corner. But how much could I actually plan?
Not to mention, I feel like I hadn't move my life towards the direction that I want to be. Lack of accomplishment is one of them, although what kind of accomplishment would you expect from a 22 year old right? I was told that one of my weakness is that I expect way too much to be accomplished, from myself and from others. I expect myself to learn to get myself together by now: dress presentable even if you are relaxing at home, have hair that is on point, going for a run without gasping for air, volunteered in enough dog shelter to handle common misbehaving dogs, to be engaging conversations with intelligent and proactive people regarding how to improve ourselves and the society, having a tidy and minimalist lifestyle and living environment, cooking and eating healthy food that is easy and nutritious, being friends that people are adventurous and fun and smart and achieving a graceful aura of wisdom yet approachable. That's the person I envisioned myself to be. But okay, let's not get too much into this topic, we will come back to it next time.
Now let's just review back the things that I'm happy that I've done in 2017:
1. Life of Strays 1.0 + Life of Strays 2.0 (Coming soon)
I realize that I'm in, what I call, a quarter life crisis. It's most probably not a real thing but oh well, who cares, I answer for myself. Not to say that I don't really have any growth or accomplishments in this year, there's plenty, but somehow when I'm this close to actually going to graduate and enter the society and fully take responsibility for my life and needing to take actual steps and risk to make dog training my thing. I mean, that's the scariest bit for me. Taking on adult responsibility is scary but I can take it, I mean everyone goes through the same thing. But dog training? It's more of like an uncharted territory, what's more, I know my mom doesn't support me in doing this at all. I feel like thinking about it alone could make me crack, but I still need to think of it whether I like it or not. The black dog is always there in the corner. But how much could I actually plan?
Not to mention, I feel like I hadn't move my life towards the direction that I want to be. Lack of accomplishment is one of them, although what kind of accomplishment would you expect from a 22 year old right? I was told that one of my weakness is that I expect way too much to be accomplished, from myself and from others. I expect myself to learn to get myself together by now: dress presentable even if you are relaxing at home, have hair that is on point, going for a run without gasping for air, volunteered in enough dog shelter to handle common misbehaving dogs, to be engaging conversations with intelligent and proactive people regarding how to improve ourselves and the society, having a tidy and minimalist lifestyle and living environment, cooking and eating healthy food that is easy and nutritious, being friends that people are adventurous and fun and smart and achieving a graceful aura of wisdom yet approachable. That's the person I envisioned myself to be. But okay, let's not get too much into this topic, we will come back to it next time.
Now let's just review back the things that I'm happy that I've done in 2017:
1. Life of Strays 1.0 + Life of Strays 2.0 (Coming soon)
My original team when we win 3rd place for Pitching Competition for Life of Strays program.
Then we appeared on TV with Desmond and Jan to promote about our event (Tho honestly not much effect)
Then on the day itself, Desmond as our spokesperson. Steph Keong was there too but my photo with her is missing, she's the best.
Then with the current new team, brought them to SPCA for a tour during our training "camp".
Then games with them and support from the old team during our training camp.
Perhaps I'm really not destined to do anything big, but I'm proud to see how much my old teams grew, in confidence and also ability to handle anything that comes along. I hope I could continue to bring that influence and growth for the new team.
2. Travels
I've actually experienced quite a lot in this year.
Firstly I went to Taiwan with my family.
Mummy and Daddy enjoying themselves. Especially my dad XD
Their native exhibits includes a dog on leash! Talk about pack leader!
In Lanyang Museum, super nice architectural. I finally noticed how my dad and I look alike: our forehead.
I forgot the name of this place, but it's an art center, refurbished from an old alcohol factory.
The strays there are all kinda fluffy. This one barked at me when he realized he's surrounded by people so near to him when he woke up. Sorry!
Then I went around places with my family and friends, and also from fieldwork.
Kek Lok Si Temple in Penang with le Fam~
Sunrise that's disappointing at Broga Hill with my roommate and her friend from UPM.
Went to KL Tower (but too cheap to actually pay to go up)
Somewhere in Pahang, between Gua Musang and Cameron Highland. I'm in my iconic straw hat!
Drove Xiao Huang (my golden myvi) up to the top part of Cameron Highland aka Mossy Forest.
Visited Aquaria KLCC. I must say it was not bad. You could definitely see their effort to take care of the animals there although you could also feel like limited size of the place.
3. Time with Coursemates
Faculty Dinner with my coursemates. My face looked deformed.
Our zap fan (economic rice) place outside the campus. First time full table!
Out for steamboat at Hoho to celebrate Cheryl's birthday.
4. Other Experiences
Made a dog friend, Lucky that sadly passed away too in 2017, seem to die from being hit by people. She was a good dog, although she was nervous and I couldn't gain her trust to touch her.
Volunteered half a day with Roots & Shoots and found out that Rina Omar is actually wildlife majored. Next to her is Dhirenn, project coordinator at Roots & Shoots.
Attended first Zumba event and I love it!
Then I volunteered at the Zoo and learnt about Penguins and birds!
Went to Arif's really belated Hari Raya open house. He had more chinese friends than I have friends.
Then went for Mgag's fans meet and greet and got free movie ticket~~
And lastly, attended the volunteer training camp for SEA games but ended up missing the second training hence not being able to volunteer in the end.
I'm sorry for the lack of continuity for the writings of this post, just don't feel like dwelling on the issues, I've procrastinated writing about it too long that if I were to talk about it, it would take me the whole day! So as a promise to not let that happen again, mostly for myself to de-cluster, I will blog about things at least 3 times per month, hopefully more than that.
As of right now, I'll leave you with this and I need to go and rest my back. See you next post!


























Comments