Do politicians listen? Does any of us?

Very recently, I've had dinner with an alumni from my university that happens to be a very prominent government Chinese community politician. Like many Chinese youngsters today, I do not believe in this particular party too, mainly because there's too much association with dirty government politics, regardless true or not. Which is also the reason we don't have much faith in the police or the anti corruption commissioner. Hey, don't bash me, I'm only being honest about what I feel, I'm not implying anything. But also, I promised my mom not to get too political, because I can get very vocal and she's afraid that I will eventually get into trouble. But meh, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

So back to the dinner. As this politician made his speech to us juniors of his, you start to get drawn to him. After all I do not expect any less from such a successful politician (successful as in he is up there), nobody can win so many followers if they do not possess that charisma and ability to drawn people to believe their vision. Here, I don't mean that people are being manipulative or brainwashing us. In fact, my sister have always said that I had that kind of skill too, that charisma that are able to draw people, which is why they always say I'm good in selling fake medicine. Well to be fair, I need to believe in that "fake medicine" in order to sell it.

It's the same when it comes to this politician.

See, nobody does so much and fight so hard believing that they are bad person. Even when trump comes out with all the policies about banning people from muslim country to getting out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership, some people do believe in him because somehow they all see that as a way to protect their own people.

He mentioned that, when certain person came out with a statement that makes us feel like Malaysia is unworthy, people flee, they criticize the government, they take whatever that has been done for granted. He said that, to change the system, we must be in the system. And that people are brainwashed by all the claims of the opposition, that we must think for ourselves, to fight for our rights as minority. That's why he keep doing what he's doing, because he want to help those that could not stand up for themselves.

Of course, as expected, he commented that oppositions are destructive to be dividing the people. At that point it was funny to see them felt so ridicule about some rumors and you realized they are also very much like your friends in university when they got accused by the funniest rumors.

I truly believe that he believe in the cause that he is fighting for, just as I am stubbornly fighting for my event because I believe that will eventually change the society. I feel bad, because I have never gave this person a chance, listen to his side of the story before assuming that he's one of the bad egg. For all I know, I don't know. He has his point, which I see the truth too. Such as you need to be in a system to change the system, or fighting all your might against something that you haven't even tried to understand.

However, as a person from the new generation, we do not believe that we are the oppressed race anymore. But rather, we want to fight for equal advancement as a nation. That what we wanted, is no longer the picture that we need someone from us (Chinese) to speak up on our issue, but rather the picture that there will be someone that will stand up for us regardless of race. That is the Malaysia that most of us believe in. And the opposition are able to tap into that. So no, I don't feel that the opposition are bad person too.

But, at this point, don't you see the importance of listening? By listening to something that was completely opposite of what I have in mind, I see that both parties wanted the same thing, they do it for the people. If the opposition listened to what this particular party wants, he would know that they have common grounds. If this party listens to the opposition without thinking that they are trying to brainwash people, they would actually hear what the people wanted now and wanted to see in our nation.

I completely understand the frustration of the government party when opposition party are always criticizing about everything they do. Because all these years, he has been fighting for the oppressed, he has been doing it since he was in university. It's a personal attachment and relation to everything that was built. In fact, anyone that doubts (not even criticize yet!) about my cause and my event, I would feel defensive and offended, because it is something that I believe and drives me through all the difficulties. When someone doubts or criticize your effort, it feels like a personal attack because you could not see the cause of why I am fighting so hard. You are the ignorant one to believe that small steps does not make a difference in shaping a society, but the fact is it does. Kindness spread, education creates a more decent place to live in.

When you are in that position of defensiveness, you are unable to see people's criticism as of how you should have done better. It is only the same when opposition keeps shouting about what they want.

Perhaps, we Malaysians lack patriotism is due to the fact that we never felt like a part of that building process. I suppose it's a culture. Chinese's contribution to Malaysia's economy is downplayed by race card. Government repeatedly blames the people for not appreciating what they did for the people, when they never made us felt like we are part of this big team call Malaysia and everyone contributed in building this nation, not just the government. How do you feel the affinity like this politician do as people of this nation where we weren't appreciated enough?

If the government do put their ego down and see things as it is, they would see that in fact patriotism has increased since Bersih. Perhaps in different people's mind, patriotism is obedience, sacrifice at command. For me, patriotism is service for the country, even if it's in a form of rebel. I see our people evolved through each experience. Every Bersih is more organised and civilized than ever. Of course I do agree that a lot of them went to oppose for the sake of oppose, but we have to admit that it is a result of our education and culture, to blame without the ability to think everything thoroughly without ego and prejudice but with facts and principles. We believe in fighting for our country, now, this time, because our voice and presence are heard, acknowledged and appreciated. This time, we felt like we are a part of the building process.

As anyone who went for this, do they still want to leave because they felt that they could not have a voice in this governance? Now, the motivation to go is due to economy, opportunity and exposure in the outside world. You want us to stay, teach us how to be a part of building this here in Malaysia. Not deny our cries and claim that life isn't hard. Listen, learn to listen.

Comments

Popular Posts